Are you a resident of New Jersey and feel that your roof may be in need of replacement? If so you may be under a lot of pressure having to figure everything out. Here at Champion Exteriors, we are all too familiar with the stresses and concerns that our clients typically have when determining whether or not their roof is in need of a replacement. That is why we have created this blog post.
In this article we will be touching on key points of a roof replacement process such as what are some common signs of roof damage, is your roof in need of a roof replacement or simply just a repair, which roofing material is the right choice for your New Jersey home, and why you should trust Champion Exteriors for your roof replacement project.
What Are Common Signs Of Roof Damage In Your New Jersey Home?
When it comes to determining if your roof is even damaged in the first place, it can be difficult, especially if this is your first time having to deal with something like this. Here are some common signs of a damaged roof that you as an inexperienced homeowner can look out for:
- How It Looks From The Street- If you are able to tell all the way from the edge of your driveway that your roof just looks old, it’s a sure sign that you are in need of a roof replacement. You may be able to see slight discoloration or curling shingles, you should be able to tell without giving it too much thought. If you can’t decide whether or not it looks old, compare it to your neighbors, as that should give you a better idea.
- Worn Out Shingles- If you are able to get onto your roof by yourself (Take caution when doing so!) take a look at your shingles. If you notice any of their edges look to be curling up, or they have been chipped off, this is a key sign that your roof is at the end of its life. Also, look for moss growing on your shingles. This moss will have a negative impact on your shingles, and it can grow under them and damage not only the shingles but the roof as well!
- Debris From Asphalt Shingles- Asphalt shingles all contain small fragments of debris to help give them stability and keep them waterproof. As your roof ages, the asphalt is worn away leaving the debris from the shingles all over your roof. It will look like small pebbles or black sand.
- Signs Of Damage In Your Attic- Probably the most obvious of all the signs, water leaking into your attic. Look for multiple leaks, as more than one can indicate you have damage from deterioration rather than from a single isolated incident.
- How Old Your Roof Is- Most asphalt shingle roofs have a lifespan of twelve to twenty years, in the best conditions. If you have lived in your house for ten years at least and have had to repair the roof multiple times within that timespan, chances are your roof’s time is just about up. If you have inherited an older house, check to see if there is any old paperwork in the basement or attic. Any work that was done to your New Jersey home was normally recorded for insurance purposes.
- An Increase In Energy Bills- If you start to notice your energy bills rising, this may be a result of a faulty roof. If your roof is not being vented properly, or it has a hole, there may be air escaping outside, resulting in higher A/C usage in the summer and increased heating bills during the winter.
Patch It, Or Scratch It? Roof Repair Vs. Roof Replacement
Now that you have a better understanding as to what you should be looking for, you should now be able to tell if your roof is indeed damaged. If it is, the next question you will have to address is whether or not you should have your roof repaired or if your roof is to the point where it would be better to have it replaced. When determining whether or not your roof needs to be replaced, it is always best to hire a professional roofing contractor. They will come to your home and inspect your roof.
After their inspection, they should have properly documented any damage they may have found along with associating any notes they had with images so they can go over all of their findings with you in detail. If the roofing inspector informs you that they were only able to find one or two small areas of damage that seem to be completely unrelated to your roof’s overall age and/or condition, you should be safe to simply have it repaired. However, if the roofing inspector informs you that there seem to be multiple areas of damage, or that your roof’s poor condition seems to be a result of its age, it is probably best to have it replaced.
Which Roof Is Right For You?
So you’ve decided that your roof is in need of replacement, what’s next? Here at Champion Exteriors, we offer two different types of roofing materials. We of course offer standard asphalt shingle roof installation, which is a widely popular choice amongst residents throughout the entirety of North America. This is because asphalt shingles are a relatively inexpensive roofing material option that does not sacrifice durability for the cost. They do an amazing job at keeping your New Jersey home safe, however, compared to metal roofs which is the second material offered by Champion Exteriors, they have a relatively short lifespan. If you are looking for a more premium option, Metal roofs are the way to go. Metal roofs have been growing in popularity over the last couple of years and are an excellent long-term investment for any homeowner. In most cases, they are lighter than asphalt shingles.
This puts less strain on the rafters and support beams throughout your roof’s structure, decreasing the likelihood of a roof collapse. Despite being lighter, they are much more durable and are able to withstand weathering and any exterior damage better than asphalt shingles can, which directly attributes to their life expectancy. While in perfect conditions asphalt shingles are expected to last anywhere between 20 to 30 years, metal roofs have an expected lifespan of anywhere between 60 to 80 or more years! Although both options, especially when installed by a licensed contractor such as the ones we have here at Champion Exteriors are amazing options, it is entirely up to you to decide which one is right for your New Jersey home!
Why Trust Champion Exteriors?
Champion Exteriors has been fixing and replacing the roofs for the residents of New Jersey for many years now, and we are extremely talented in our craft. We work with only the best name brand qualities to ensure that any material installed in our clients’ roofs lives up to the professional standards that we hold ourselves in our own work to. Choosing Champion Exteriors means that you will be choosing a roofing contractor who takes pride in their work, and you will certainly be able to tell the difference! If you are in need of a roof replacement, please do not hesitate to reach out to us so we can get started on your roof immediately!