Commercial roof storm damage describes the forms of damage that occur to a commercial roof after a storm. This type of damage can be caused by a variety of factors, including wind, rain, hail, and snow.
Storm damage has a significant impact on a business, leading to lost productivity, costly repairs, and even damage to the interior of the building. As a result, businesses need to take certain steps to protect their roofs from storm damage.
Some of the ways to protect a roof from storm damage include:
- Installing durable roofing materials with a high wind rating
- Installing a roof drainage system to prevent water from pooling on the roof
- Regularly inspecting the roof for signs of damage
- Utilizing roofing tarps to prevent further damage from occurring
By taking these steps, businesses can help protect their roofs from storm damage and minimize the financial and structural impact on their business.
Causes of Commercial Roof Storm Damage
There are several factors that can contribute to the formation of commercial roof storm damage, including:
- Heavy rain
- Snow and ice
Each of these factors can cause different types of damage to a commercial roof, depending on the severity of the storm. For example, wind can cause damage by lifting up roofing membranes and causing tears, while hail may puncture roofing membranes.
Snow and ice can also cause damage by accumulating on a roof and adding weight, which can lead to leaks or structural damage. Heavy rain, though unsuspecting at first, can pond on the roof if you do not have adequate drainage, causing leaks and water damage.
Types of Commercial Roof Storm Damage
There are a variety of different types of commercial roof storm damage that can occur, including:
- Water leaks
- Structural damage
- Electrical damage
- Hail damage
- Wind damage
Each type of damage has a different set of consequences, so it is important to be able to identify the type of damage that has occurred in order to properly repair it.
Consequences of Commercial Roof Storm Damage
Commercial roof storm damage can have a number of consequences, including:
- Leaks: Storms often bring heavy rain, which can lead to leaks and water infiltration if the roof is damaged. This can cause immediate and long-term problems such as damage to the interior of the building, including walls, ceilings, and inventory. Persistent moisture can also lead to mold and mildew growth, posing health risks and potential legal suits.
- Increased Repair and Replacement Costs: Following storm damage, the costs for repair or replacement can be significantly more expensive. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may require a complete roof replacement, which is a substantial investment.
- Increased Insurance Premiums: Increased insurance premiums can be a result of storm damage, as insurers may view a building as being more at risk of future damage.
How to Prevent Commercial Roof Storm Damage
There are a number of things that you can do to help prevent commercial roof storm damage from occurring, including:
- Install a high-quality roof that is made from durable materials.
- Regularly inspect your roof for signs of damage.
- Have your roof repaired or replaced as soon as possible if damage is found.
- Keep trees and other debris away from your roof.
- Install a roof tarp to prevent further damage.
How to Repair Commercial Roof Storm Damage
There are a few different ways to repair commercial roof storm damage, depending on the severity of the damage. In some cases, it may be possible to repair the damage yourself, while in other cases, it may be necessary to hire a professional roofing contractor. If you are considering repairing the damage yourself, it is important to first assess the damage and determine what needs to be done. You will also need to gather the necessary materials and tools.
Once you have gathered what you need, you can begin the repair process. The following steps provide a general overview of how to repair commercial roof storm damage:
- Remove any debris from the roof.
- Inspect the roof for any damage.
- Repair any damaged portion of the roofing membrane or material.
- Seal any cracks or leaks.
- Replace any damaged flashing or vents.
- Re-install any damaged gutters or downspouts.
If you are not comfortable repairing the damage yourself, it is important to hire a professional roofing contractor. A professional will be able to assess the damage and recommend the best course of action. They will also have the experience and expertise to complete the repairs properly and efficiently.
Covering The Cost Of Commercial Roof Storm Damage: Filing an Insurance Claim
When you face roof storm damage, one of your main concerns as a business owner may be how you’ll cover the cost of repairs or replacements. Luckily, insurance can play a significant role in managing these expenses. Here’s how to navigate the process of filing an insurance claim for commercial roof storm damage:
Understand Your Policy
Before a storm hits, it’s crucial to understand what your insurance covers. Review your policy to know the specifics of what’s included, such as damage from wind, hail, or rain. Be aware of any deductibles and limits.
Document the Damage
Immediately after the storm, and once it’s safe, document all the damage you find. It may help to hire a professional at this point as they will provide you with a comprehensive report that includes photos to provide your insurance company with.
Contact Your Insurance Company
Notify your insurance company as soon as possible to begin the claims process. Provide them with all the necessary documentation of the damage. They will guide you through the next steps, which typically include filling out claim forms and arranging for an adjuster to inspect the damage.
Work with a Professional Adjuster
An insurance adjuster will examine the damage to determine the extent and cause. It’s beneficial to have a professional roofing contractor present during this inspection. They can provide a detailed assessment of the damage and ensure that the adjuster fully understands the scope of the repairs needed. Some roofing companies specialize in storm damage and can assist in advocating for a fair assessment with the insurance company.
Review the Settlement Offer
Once the adjuster has reviewed the damage, the insurance company will offer a settlement. Review this offer carefully with your roofing contractor to ensure it covers all necessary repairs. If the settlement seems insufficient, you can dispute it. Provide additional documentation or a second opinion from another roofing professional if needed to support your case.
Proceed with Repairs
After accepting the settlement, you can proceed with the repairs. Choose a reputable roofing contractor experienced in storm damage repairs. Keep all receipts and contracts during the repair process, as your insurance company may require them to disburse the funds to you.
How to Find a Commercial Roofing Contractor
Finding a commercial roofing contractor can be a daunting task, but it is important to find a qualified and experienced contractor who can do the job right. Here are a few tips for finding a commercial roofing contractor who can handle commercial roof storm damage:
1. Get at least three quotes from different contractors. This will help you compare prices and get a sense of the range of services that are available.
2. Ask for references from previous clients. This is a great way to get an idea of the quality of the contractor’s work and how they handle customer service.
3. Check the contractor’s licensing and insurance. This is important to ensure that the contractor is qualified to do the work and that they are covered in the event of an accident.
4. Meet with the contractor in person to discuss your project. This is a good opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for the contractor’s personality and professionalism.
5. Make sure you are comfortable with the contractor’s estimate and timeline. You should be confident that the contractor can complete the work on time and within your budget.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of finding a commercial roofing contractor who can do the job right.
Get Your Commercial Roof Storm Damage Repairs in New Jersey
Have you experienced commercial roof storm damage in New Jersey? If so, you need to act fast! Luckily, Champion Exteriors is the leading commercial roofing contractor in New Jersey, and we can help you get your roof repaired quickly and efficiently.
We understand that commercial roof storm damage can be a major inconvenience, and we’re here to help you get your business back up and running as soon as possible. We offer a wide range of commercial roofing services, including roof repairs, roof replacements, roof inspections, and roof maintenance. We can even tarp your roof to prevent further damage in an emergency!
We’re also fully licensed and insured, so you can rest easy knowing that your roof is in good hands. Contact Champion Exteriors today at (609) 845-3576 for a free consultation with one of our experts. We’ll come out to assess the damage to your roof and recommend the best course of action.